Leeks indoors...do I blanch now? Trim?

megmaineMarch 17, 2009

If anyone can help me, I would like to have leeks this year... tried it once before and never got more than pencil thin ones...

I read here that for starting them indoors under fluorescents, I should trim the green and keep them trimmed to about 3 inches high... So should I trim the tiny hairlike seedlings I have now?

And what about blanching? Mine are sprouted in peat pellets... do I need to start piling soil around the green shoots now, or does that wait until transplanting outdoors?

Thanks for any help... I have searched for this info, and all I can find is that blanching should be done, but not when it should be begun when leeks are grown from seed indoors.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baygrower(7 maryland)

I have grown leeks last 5 years.For some reason we start april first under lights and move in and out of house for a month.I plant in container circumference of a average bucket and usually-may 1- plant the leeks in the garden-without container.let grow in the clump and when they are about as thick as pencil-another month-seperate from clump and plant every 4 inches in garden.We have never trimmed the leeks back-but this is my first year with onion seeds and we do trim onions to 3 inch.I still have about a hundred from may31 2008 final planting-and they are delicous.We planted some in sept.2008 and they are about 3/4 inch circumference and growing.I am going to start some tomorrow as they are very hardy and i have time.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 7:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yopper(3-4)

Yes trim them to about 3" when they start to fallover. harden them off some before you plant them outside. I plant mine outside the end of april or first of may depending on the weather and then hill dirt up around them as they grow. YOPPER

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™