How cold is too cold for onion seedlings?

rhubarb_stalker(Z5b Western MA)March 24, 2011

I've got my onion seedlings in the cold frame, and nighttime temperatures are supposed to get down into the low 20's. How much cold can these little guys handle? I know I can take them out of the cold frame and put them into the garage, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kens_garlic

Depending on the variety they should be able to handle those temps. I am up here in Ontario Canada and last night my Redwing and Cortland seedlings were exposed to -6.5C (20F) in my unheated greenhouse. They are in cell packs and the grow medium just about froze solid and they survived and appear to be fine now. I don't know if this will adversely affect them later in their growth ie. bolting or thick necks, I guess I'll find out. We are having another very cold night tonight so I brought them inside, I don't want to push my luck.
They are about 9 weeks out from seed in 100 cell packs, about 2 - 4 seedlings per cell.
Hope this helps.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 1:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Freezing temps should not be a problem. But I would try to mulch them with dry leaves/straw/ pine straw heavily to prevent from repeated short cycle freezing and thawings, as much as possible. This is the only reason for mulching the over-wintering garlics as well. The ground (in zone 5) will probably freez to a depth of more than a feet with or without mulch.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 6:55AM
More Discussions
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™