Help :) "landscapers" cut down all the garlic greens

YaeliMarch 15, 2013

Our apartment management hired in so-called landscapers who couldn't tell mint, oregano, flowering lavender, yellow onions, and garlic etc. from weeds and slaughtered the lot with their weed eaters. My soft-neck garlic bulbs are still in the ground around our roses but they cut everything above the soil surface, eh, down to the soil.

Is there any chance for the garlic or was this a total killer diller?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GarlicFiend

I don't know what zone you are in, so it's hard to know what the current growing state of your garlic is. In my zone 5, only about 1/4 of my garlic even has any leaves above ground.

My general guess is that the plant will continue to grow with new leaves naturally coming up as the lifecycle of the plant dictates.

I believe that you will suffer head size this year as the plant is currently robbed of the ability to feed itself until new green can generated.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 9:20AM
AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)

ohhhhh that sucks, I would be peeved but then again it is in a community bed so to speak so you can't control what happens to it. Anywho I agree with the previous poster the leaves should regenerate, fingers crossed!

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 12:24AM
Yaeli

Thanks guys! I guess I'll just wait and keep my fingers crossed. The green shoots have grown half a foot in under a week!

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™