I planted my store bought green onion roots

mamabear2(z4/5Bk HillsSD)March 26, 2006

Forgive me if this is a topic that has been discussed. I haven't read throught all of the posts on this forum. I planted the roots of my store bought green onions(in a small starter pack in the house) and they are all sending up shoots. I am curious if anyone else has done this. Will they be healthy and as tasty? I'm ready to start planting every root I cut off and setting them in the garden when it's safe to set them out. We eat a ton of these each week and it would be fun to step outside and get some fresh ones. I suppose this could be too time consuming with all of the other tasks we have in the summer but sounds like a good idea now when I'm dreaming of spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
negi(8b)

Leeks and onions do fine this way. For me 1.5" of bottom grows back usually within a month depending on the season.
Bob

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 1:22PM
goddessemer6(z9a NV)

Another gardenwebber posted about his experiance with planting green onions from the store.

~Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting grocery store green onions

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 11:35AM
fliptx(Houston 9)

The green onion roots I planted from grocery onions are doing better than the onion transplants I put in the ground at the same time.

Bookmark   March 29, 2006 at 9:24AM
graceffort_yahoo_com

I planted my store bought red onion that had some shoots. Now it has long green shoots and one is longer with an onion shaped tiny top. IS that a flower? Will it indicate when a new onion will form as 2 "daughter" plants have sprouted beside the mother onion, I planted. Wondering what is growing..jsut scallions or onions to harvest later? Anyone know? thanks.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Garlic left in ground over winter
I planted cloves last spring and they sprouted leaves...
garydg
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™