Problem with green onions seedlings

heirloomjunkie(5a)March 23, 2011

Last year I started green bunching onions from seed, indoors, with no problems. I had excellent germination and the plants were strong until harvest.

However, this year, the plants didn't germinate as well, and once up, they seemed to uproot themselves, then wilt away. It's like the roots are growing up out of the soil and they flop over. I watered the same amount as last year, the only thing different is that I used seed and seed starter from last year. Any idea on what's causing this?

Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kens_garlic

The problem is that you used last years seed. Allium seeds are notorious for their short lifespan, you should use fresh seed every year or all your other efforts will be in vain. Max lifespan in ideal storage conditions is about a year for onions and leek. One option is to take your leftover fresh seed and dry them down to about 1-2% moisture using a food dehydrator or a dessicant and then put them in a sealed airtight container and freeze them. Done properly this can prolong their viability to 5 years+. When removing the seed from the freezer do not open the container until it reaches ambient temperature, this will prevent condensation from forming on the seed and possibly damaging them in their fragile frozen state.

-Ken

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 1:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heirloomjunkie(5a)

Thanks, Ken!

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™