Onion Tragedy

AustinApril(8b)March 26, 2005

Last night, we had a freak storm blow through Central Texas. During the day, I admired the HUGE fat onions, first time to grow. Thanks to Martin, I was thrilled with the Egyptian Walking Onions I planted for the first time, fascinated by the top set bulbils that were coming along farily rapidly.

I could NOT believe the racket of the hail at 9:33 to 9:47 p.m. Almost EXACTLY 4 minutes of ALL H%$L breaking loose, where I ran out to one window and covered the inside with a large quilt in fear that it was about to be pelted into a thousand pieces.

My daughter and I were amazed in just minutes as we stared out at a silent back yard, 3 inches deep in 1.5-2" pieces of hail. After a day with 80 degrees, it was quite a site to look out on.

I worried for my tomatoe plants, all about 10 - 12" tall. Turns out they made it, minus a few limbs but with centers intact (on most of 'em, anyway).

I was surprised this morning, though, as I went out, about the strong smell of onion wafting toward my house.

Pieces everywhere. Not a single topset of bulbils left intact (one or two were busted and swinging by a thread; the rest were on the ground).

They won't recover from such a late disaster, will they?

8-(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

April,
If there are leaves left intact, likely the in ground bulbs will mature and can be replanted for the next crop. Still, disapointing. Last year. just three blocks away, there was severe hail and my friend thought he lost everything. Nothing failed. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 27, 2005 at 12:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paquebot(Z-4b WI)

Sounds like I got the last salad out of that garden, eh? Enjoying it again this evening!

Salvage the walking onion bulbils, no matter how immature they may seem. Let them dry for a few days and then plant them. Just barely cover them with soil and forget about them. They may take off growing as if nothing happened.

Martin

Bookmark   March 27, 2005 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
Reasons to Grow Your Own Onions?
We consume some onions and we buy them from local farmer's...
redsun9
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™