garlic under lights

heavyoilguy(Z2 ALBERTA)March 4, 2010

I have planted garlic inside under lights 2/18/10, I am wandering do I cut back the tops like I do to the onions I have growing ? I cut the onions back usually once per week to 4".

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
promethean_spark

I wouldn't, you want as much area for photosynthesis as you can get. Garlic is very different from onions, day length isn't an issue and you're growing from divisions rather than seed/set, bolting isn't an issue... Garlic has a pretty wide window when you can plant is successfully, from late summer through early spring. The only threat to it is excessive heat, which in Z2 may not be a problem either.

The garlic should produce quite the root system and top growth by the time it will be planted out. Hopefully they're at least in individual 16oz containers.

Garlic will emerge faster and more vigorously if it has been exposed to cold temperatures, in a similar manner to 'forced' flower bulbs. If you are starting them indoors they may not have been exposed to such cold. If you are unhappy with their performance this year and they were stored indoors all winter before planting, you could try refrigerating them for a month before planting next time.

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 3:50PM
More Discussions
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™