What now?

Chubasco(6a/AZ)March 28, 2005

never had tried growing garlic, and being an avid forum reader, I planted some cloves from store bought (calif. white) garlic last Oct. They sprouted and have grown over the winter, even in freezing temps ( teens). I mulched with straw ( 3-4 inches) We had a wet winter and snow here in E central Az. zone 6/6a 5700' elev. The tops are now about 12 inches +-. I have not been able to start the water yet as we are still freezing in the AM. Sunny days in the 50's. Now my question: Do I just wait, start watering at risk of freeezing pipes, or what? Brent

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paquebot(Z-4b WI)

No reason to hurry with the watering. California White is a softneck which is used to dry Mediterranean climates anyway. Whereas the rule of thumb for vegetables is an inch of rain per week, garlic seems to do well with half that. They do have a rather deep root system so they'll go looking for water if they need it. Two of my best garlic years were 2002 and 2003, drought summers. Garlic was low priority for the water buckets and the garlic loved it!

Martin

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 10:46AM
kristenmarie(Z4-5/New Mexico)

Just next door, you KNOW we're as dry as you!! Don't worry about it -- garlic is pretty tolerant of dry. How high are your daytime temps? Is there moisture left in the soil when you touch it? I think you've had a wet winter like us-- our garlic beds are SOAKED, I think we won't have to water until May even if it doens't rain another drop between now and then.

Kristen

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 11:59PM
Chubasco(6a/AZ)

Thanks, Martin and Kristen, I'll take your advice and do what I do best( nothing LOL) These garlic are in a raised bed with sandy/silty soil that has been augmented with composted bison manuer. As I said I mulched with 3-4" of straw before real cold Wx came in. My water system is from a well. I have an automatic timer for watering. Pipe is PVC but not buried deep, 6"or less. There are 8 different legs that take care of the garden ( 40'x60', 8 raised beds and 2 20x20' open areas, an orchard, 11 apples, 3 plums, 3 combo cherries and 3 apricots, a peach, and many ornamentals, roses, evergreens, cottonwoods etc. You can see the system is extensive and subject to freezing. I don't need to be repairing cracked pipes by turning on the water too soon.
Again thanks I've rambled too long.
Brent

Bookmark   March 30, 2005 at 11:48AM
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

Next season, try growing some real garlic, ie. hardneck. I think you will never go back to Ca White.

Bookmark   April 6, 2005 at 2:06AM
More Discussions
'Moritz' egyptian onion?
I thought I would try posting this again since it has...
shane11
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Oat Straw
I've mulched my garlic with a nice covering of oat...
Ricko1
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™