I noticed this morning that there are mushrooms sprouting out of a couple of my onion plants. Should I just pull the mushrooms out gently? Or does this mean my plants are diseased?
You can pull the mushrooms out and compost them, because as they deteriorate they may attract flies and little beetles. They won't hurt your onions, though, and are a sign that your soil is rich with fungi, which enrich the soil. Not all species produce fruits (mushrooms) but many do. NOT edible. We use a lot of wood chips to mulch paths, and see lots of different mushrooms. They seem to like to grow under peppers, go figure.