Storing onion sets

brent_in(z5 IN)March 8, 2006

I just bought some onion sets. What is the best way to store them for about 4 months? I think I remember hearing something somewhere about puting them in a bag with something else and stick them in the fridge. I know by themselves in the fridge is a bad idea.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

Put them in a mesh bag, like an onion bag from the store. Hang in a cool, dry, airy dark place. Perhaps a basement.

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 8:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamabear2(z4/5Bk HillsSD)

Last year I bought some sets (the ones that come tyed together in packs of 50) from a local greenhouse and was very impressed with how they had thrown the sets in some planting mix/starter mix in a large planter box on the outside of one of their greenhouses which was protected with a pergola. Now this was later in the spring (possibly May even June). I was running all over the country side looking for onion sets because I had procrastinated and they were gone. So I know it was fairly late. My point is, this year I'm buying them as soon as they arrive in the local greenhouses and throwing them in a pot in a nice warm sunny place until they can be set out. The sets I bought last year were so healthy and did very well in our garden.

Bookmark   March 26, 2006 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
Garlic left in ground over winter
I planted cloves last spring and they sprouted leaves...
garydg
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™