just curious

hileeMarch 5, 2014

Often, when plain yellow onions from the grocery store sprout, they have multiple "shoots" coming from the top. Does that mean that they are some sort of multiplier? When allowed to complete the life cycle; would they not continue to "expand" by dividing? Anyway, why do they do that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planatus(6)

Onions are smart, and show their wits when allowed to perennialize. They will propagate themselves by seed and by division, putting more energy into seed when they are stressed, and more into vegetative growth (division) when conditions are good.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 7:42AM
hilee

Hmmm. Can I extrapolate from this that if I were to plant the onion, that it would continue to separate, thereby making a clump or will the sneaky little buggers just set seed? By the way, I am in an elevation that is not conducive to bulb growth except for the small, --we call them "Filipino" onions--that have tiny purple, ovoid bases; very similar to the l-toi. Sigh. I long to have an onion patch of onions that are not teeny and will self-propagate...

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 3:50PM
farmerdill

Onions tend to have multiple rings. Each seperate set of rings will produce a new plant. Todays commercial hybrids are developed to have single rings a highly desired trait especially when using for onion rings. Even so some of them will revert to multiple rings. Self propagation is pretty much restricted to topsetting onions and Allium fistulosum. Even potato onions and shallots require digging and replanting.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Newbie to garlic growing
I would like to try a variety of bulbs this fall. Anyone...
Sunnygran55
Garlic "forcing" experiment?
Last Fall I intended to plant rocambole garlic cloves...
tomtuxman
How are your storage alliums doing?
How are people's garlic and onions standing up to storage...
OldDutch
How Do You Grow Garlic in Container?
I just wonder how you'd grow garlic in container? I'd...
achang89
Can wimpy leeks survive frost?
Hello, I grew some leeks this year, and due to my ineptitude...
plantslayer
Sponsored Products
Cabana Blue Stripe Brilliant Blanket
$49.99 | zulily
Diamond Motif Geo-Floral Red/Blue 8'x10' Mamluk Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H6945
BH Sun Inc
Safavieh Hand-woven Reversible Multicolor Braided Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
Tan Flower Shade Brushed Nickel Swing Arm Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Green and Ivory Outdoor Area Rug (7'10 x 10'10)
Overstock.com
Palmer Bath Rug 17" x 24" - PALE FLANNEL
$39.90 | Horchow
46"L x 32"W Red Cedar Contoured Picnic Table with (2) 46"L Benches & (2) 32"L Be
Fifthroom.com
Justice Design Group FSN-8702 - Aero 2 Light Bath Bar - Round Flared Shade - Dar
$290.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™