just curious

hileeMarch 5, 2014

Often, when plain yellow onions from the grocery store sprout, they have multiple "shoots" coming from the top. Does that mean that they are some sort of multiplier? When allowed to complete the life cycle; would they not continue to "expand" by dividing? Anyway, why do they do that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planatus(6)

Onions are smart, and show their wits when allowed to perennialize. They will propagate themselves by seed and by division, putting more energy into seed when they are stressed, and more into vegetative growth (division) when conditions are good.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 7:42AM
hilee

Hmmm. Can I extrapolate from this that if I were to plant the onion, that it would continue to separate, thereby making a clump or will the sneaky little buggers just set seed? By the way, I am in an elevation that is not conducive to bulb growth except for the small, --we call them "Filipino" onions--that have tiny purple, ovoid bases; very similar to the l-toi. Sigh. I long to have an onion patch of onions that are not teeny and will self-propagate...

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 3:50PM
farmerdill

Onions tend to have multiple rings. Each seperate set of rings will produce a new plant. Todays commercial hybrids are developed to have single rings a highly desired trait especially when using for onion rings. Even so some of them will revert to multiple rings. Self propagation is pretty much restricted to topsetting onions and Allium fistulosum. Even potato onions and shallots require digging and replanting.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Reasons to Grow Your Own Onions?
We consume some onions and we buy them from local farmer's...
redsun9
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™