Growing your own onion sets?

blueberrier1March 18, 2007

Has anyone grown their own onion sets?

Seems like I read years ago that it is not impossible and allows one to enjoy more than the few varieties available. What I recall is that one plants an ounce (?) of seed in about a sq. yd of soil-you want them crowded. Plant in August and they are small bulbs that dry by the end of Sept...guess it was for the midwest.

Also recall a person folding cardboard and then drilling with a hole saw to get accurate sets or plant placement. Supposed to be better than holes in black plastic.

Thanks for any input.

cella jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sos_acres(Z5 SE IA)

I read what you are describing in Dick Raymond's Joy of Gardening. He planted an ounce of seeds mid July (3-4 months before killing frost is expected) in a 3x5 foot area and ended up with 45 pounds of sets.
SOS

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 12:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamabear2(z4/5Bk HillsSD)

I just purchased 3 bunches of onion sets and we now have 6 inches of snow on the ground. I put them in a plastic tray with a few drops of water to keep them moist. I put the tray in the refriderator in the garage for a couple of weeks until they are ready to plant. I figure they store them this way in the green houses so it should work. Any good tips from anyone out there? Thanks.

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Garlic Plants are Coming Up (Fall 2014)
I planted some garlic bulbs about 2-3 weeks ago. And...
redsun9
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™