Golden and Pikant Shallots.

coho(z8/9 N. Calif)April 7, 2005

Martin,

14 Golden and 27 Pikants survived the winter and my "pet" gopher. All are doing well. Such a mild winter, I expect an early harvest.

The first Golden in the row has a scape. Have you tried collecting seed from them?

One Pikant hase very tiny leaves. It will be interesting to see if it catches up or remains tiny or is possibly a sport.

Brook, Have you been able to get yours in the ground Yet? If so how are they doing?

Ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paquebot(Z-4b WI)

I'm learning that it's iffy to fall-plant shallots here. No matter how much I mulch, still often have 50% loss. That's what the Goldens look like right now. They'll look like they may have survived the winter and then suddenly half of them will just turn to mush. I would guess that there is a very good reason why the seed companies sell them in the spring. The losses are no problem as there are plenty of reserves to fill in.

Not so with the Pikants. I think that only one or two may make it. I had forgotten some in the garden shed and they froze, not a good thing for shallots!

Martin

Bookmark   April 9, 2005 at 8:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
walkerwi(4a)

Martin,
All 8 cloves of Music are up about 1 1/2" and is the only garlic that survived. Thought the 30 or so shallots planted last fall would poke through after last weeks 75-80 temps but no life showing yet...and I had 5-6" of chopped leaves over them & the garlic. Catawissa's are doing fine. Did get a 30ft. row of red Norland 'taters' in yesterday. Also got 200 ft. of rabbit fencing at Menards today...tired of those critters doing "early harvesting" of my beets, salad greens, etc.

Charlie

Bookmark   April 9, 2005 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™