First harvest in spring

oldroser(z5)April 11, 2005

and it's the Egyptian or walking onion - the one with top sets but right now it makes great scallions. Dug, trimmed and washed, they're a fine addition to salads or Chinese food. And how pleasant to be able to harvest something when the rest of the garden isn't even planted!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

My regular chives are really good too. Right now they are getting nice and big. I will be cutting a few bunches for salads and baked potatoes.

Bookmark   April 11, 2005 at 11:13AM
breezyb(z6/7VA)

My garlic chives are so long & thick right now I can cook them like a a vegetable! Isn't the onion family great!!

Bookmark   April 11, 2005 at 7:14PM
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

The chives are definitely going to be harvested for the first time this weekend. The garlic chives are only in their first year so they're a bit small but I'm always so happy to see the garlic poking their leaves up every early spring that it gets going on all the other plantings. Now all I have to do is find room for the 300 or so onions that just showed up from Dixondale!

Bookmark   April 11, 2005 at 7:40PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

My garlic chives have not even emerged yet. They are growing right next to my regular chives. Years ago, before I moved these to the location they are in now, my dad had planted a small blueberry bush which never did very well. It was hard to keep it acidic enough and not afftect the nearby chives. I finally decided to remove the blueberry bush, as well as one right next to my peach tree. Everywhere in my garden and around the edges I see lots of oak leaves. Guess I'll have to go out and use the big vacuum mulcher again. I think that my horseradish has been destroyed too, as I don't see any greens this year.

Bookmark   April 12, 2005 at 11:27AM
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

Heritage Sweet White have been on-line for about 4 weeks. Have well developed topsets now.

Bookmark   April 12, 2005 at 11:18PM
pdxjules(8, Portland, OR)

My walking Onions are just getting going -
but I planted them in mid-winter...since I did't need additonal greens this winter. It's cool, wet & mild here much of the winter - so you know what can happen!

I've been eating from these Garlic Chives since October...and I dig out clumps for others often.
Now they are preparing to bloom,
so I'm near the end of that harvest till fall.

Mine grow in clumps - separated by contrasting rocks - at the base of a large cherry tree. They love it there...the extra foliage growth from being in shade goes to my kitchen all winter. The masses of White Bloom in the shade is also dee-lightful - but that used to come in JUNE. (Few doubts linger about Climate Change if you are in Oregon)

Today I will harvest some short stocky Scapes from Shallots. And the skinny regular garlic wants to be cut again, so the flowers that are forming can show off without being hidden in a tangle. I planted some of last year's Chive seed yesterday - for more of a year-round Chive harvest. Aromatic Allium - I love 'em all. Am new to cooking with Scapes - so I'm happy to experience that.

The Allium forum - (with seed gifts from Martin, and Katzneon) have conspired to transform my back garden!
Thanx all!

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 1:10PM
Warthog7(8 OR)

Walking onions are monsters and would be taking over if allowed. Have served up a few good meals but not near enough to keep them in control.

Only two of the heratige sweet survived the winter so they are being allowed to run rampant and create some new sets.

Potato onions and shallots all growing nicely.

Hardnecks recovering and starting to put on some height. While the softnecks conitnue to grow nicely.

Planted 50 potato seeds yesterday. Shows I am a little behind.

Warthog

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™