Purple globe allium

baunleeApril 13, 2014

Hello I am new to gardenweb and I have a lot to learn! I have my first flower garden this year in my first home. I always loved and admired the long plants with the purple bulbs on top. Last time I was at my moms she had a plant catalog brecks or something...and it had those! Only they wanted $24.00 a bulb?!? They were called beau regard allium. They also had a giant allium mixture for $10 with 6 bulbs.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on the garden and I've planted most things from seed in my sunroom. Before spending money on these I thought it would be wise to ask the gardenweb pros if it's a good price and if not where else can I get them? Additionally if anyone has extra bulbs please let me know as they will be well loved and adored! Thanks for any advice in advance :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planatus(6)

I like Brent and Becky's Bulbs. They run two seasons, one for cool-season bulbs planted in fall (alliums are in this group) and warm-season summer bulbs. Late in each season, they have a sale of whatever is left.

That said, you may find these bulbs at a good price in the fall in retail stores.

I would grow these in groups of the same type so you get an orderly stand. Mixing them won't be as pleasing to the eye.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 7:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska(5)

There are also many kinds of allium. I have mostly drumstick allium (1" across) and Christophii allium (2-3" across). In the fall you can find them sold in bags along with tulips, daffodils, etc. They are closer to 8 for $5. These are usually the purple globe alliums that bloom 2" across. The larger the bloom, the more costly the bulb. I love the giant ones, but I'm like you. I just can't pay that much. I also save seeds from them and trade the seeds. I know it will take several years to get a bloom, but that way I have a chance and other people have a chance, too, without spending every nickel we've got! In my area the allium sells fast in these larger stores. I have to get it quick or I've missed my chance. Maybe in large cities or bigger places they go on sale if there are some left over, but not here.
Heidi

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Planting harneck garlic in spring (zone 2b)
Life got in the way of getting my garlic in this past...
macky77
what (if anything) to plant with garlic?
Hey all, Last fall I planted a bunch of garlic in 2...
pegleg48
garlic suppliers
Buying garlic is sure hard. I have saved the best of...
little_minnie
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
Sponsored Products
Allium Down-Alternative Floral Comforter Set
$59.99 | zulily
Allium Blue Gray Printed Cotton Curtain 50 x 84
$72.95 | Bellacor
Allium Grass
$635.00 | Horchow
Purple & Black Allium Shower Curtain
$14.99 | zulily
Thomas O'Brien Allium Hand Knotted Area Rug
FRONTGATE