Lots of garlic

lilacs_of_mayApril 23, 2008

At last count, I had 271 garlic plants growing, and I think there are still more to come.

Admittedly, I rather overbought on garlic last year. I ordered 11 different varieties, and I thought I'd get a bulb or two of each kind. Um, no. I got 2-4 bulbs of each kind, with an average of 8 cloves per bulb. Most of my garden is given over to garlic, and I think I'll probably be giving some of it away.

I also have about 12 tomato seedlings growing. If they do as well as the garlic, I might open my own Italian restaurant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momamamo

Or you could have a neighborhood festival where everyone agrees to smell like garlic for a few days! ;)

This past fall I planted 8 cloves each of 8 different kinds that I got at the local farmers' market. I also planted 16 elephant garlic cloves from a supermarket purchase. I used a tomato cage, the kind that flattens and is made of squares, as a grid. Each type got 2 squares, 4 cloves per square. Then I marked them. Everybody's looking good so far. By the way, the person I bought the farmers' market garlic from, told me that the biggest cloves don't necessarily produce the biggest bulbs. My kids are awaiting the results. Happy spring!

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 8:05AM
penguingardener

Hi lilacs!

What are you growing that's new this year? I wound up putting a short hoop over my garlic from mid-March to mid-April, that seems to have helped make them a little happy:

I cut back on garlic this year, 65 bulbs vs 81 the year before. Most are new varieties, mostly hardnecks. About 20% are seeded from last year's harvest.

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 8:06AM
lilacs_of_may

For some reason, I ordered mostly hardnecks this year: Persian Star, Carpathian, Spanish Roja, Polish Hardneck, Chesnok Red, Blossom, Lotus, Killarney Red, Oregon Blue, and Ontario Giant. I think most of those are hardnecks. There were others, too, that I can't remember offhand. I also kept back some Transylvanian and Lorz Italian from last year to plant. They're doing well.

I'll have plenty of scapes for stir fry this year. I love watching the sprouts pop up. Some of them look a bit chewed, though. I think the squirrels have been chowing down on them. I know that they stole several cloves, and they keep digging holes in my garden patch. I hate squirrels.

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 9:41PM
originaljiggy

Those squirrels would make a wonderful stir fry with all that garlic.

if they're the eatin' kind anyway...

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 1:19AM
More Discussions
Can wimpy leeks survive frost?
Hello, I grew some leeks this year, and due to my ineptitude...
plantslayer
Garlic "forcing" experiment?
Last Fall I intended to plant rocambole garlic cloves...
tomtuxman
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Garlic left in ground over winter
I planted cloves last spring and they sprouted leaves...
garydg
Can I wait to plant garlic?
Hi - I have planted all the garlic I can in the room...
jennieboyer
Sponsored Products
Seeri Double Shade Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Brook Farm Natural
$79.97 | Home Depot
Cubo Seven-Piece Kitchen Utensil Set
$49.99 | zulily
VWW 5050 Single Row CC LED Strip Light 60/m 12mm wide 6m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Small Size Modern Style Ball shaped Pendant Light with Crystal Fittings
ParrotUncle