garlic

billtex(8atx)April 21, 2011

Is the $18.00 a lb. garlic from seed companies bigger than in stores or what is the difference, tks. bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clones2

I believe the stuff in stores is regular California White Garlic. There's plenty of varieties to select from companies online. I guess I would ask what variety it is. Different variety = different size. The size should be roughly the same as what's in the store though. And 18.00/lb seems a bit high. Should be able to find a great variety closer to $12-$14/lb.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 9:28AM
GarlicFiend

Remember, that $18 a pound is a one time cost. Once you get your own crop harvested, you'll save the best for replanting. What you are paying for is the ability to choose from so many types of garlic, not just that which is in the stores.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 1:50PM
garlicstonefarm(5b)

When you pay a premium price you should receive garlic that is free of disease, nicely sized, and properly stored, i.e. stored at the right temp and humidity and not bumped or bruised. These bulbs give you the best shot at growing great garlic. $14 a pound sounds perfect to me:)

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 11:07PM
ikea_gw

Our local farmers market now carry a few varieties of the named hardneck garlic. Last year I saw music, German extra hardy and some other varieties for about $2 a head. Cheaper than the seed catalogs if they are the varieties you want to grow. I bought a head of no name purple stripe hardneck several years ago at the market and I have been growing it ever since.

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Garlic Plants are Coming Up (Fall 2014)
I planted some garlic bulbs about 2-3 weeks ago. And...
redsun9
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™