Garlic

nikkisgarden(5)April 29, 2008

I platned garlic last week for the first time. Will I have to wate untill next year to harvest it? I was reading that it is a perennial but grows like an annual. So do I harvest it this year or next? And another question is how do I keep some to plant next year? Dose it seed or do I need to keep some bulbs? If the answer is bulbs how do I store them untill next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandad_2003(9A/sunset 28)

Nikki, As for the "when to plant what?" question, you might want to do a web search and obtain a planting guide for your area. I have one for Louisiana which I've been using since the 1970's. It covers pretty much everything. It was published by the Louisiana Cooperative Extension Serivce. You should be able to find something similar. Our guide indicates that I would plant garlic between October 1 and November 30. Surely not the case for your area..

On your other question about keeping bulbs from year-to-year, I did exactly this and planted them last October. My garlic crop failed, most have rotted. On the possiblity is that my bulbs had aquired a bit of contamiation during the holding process, I've decided to purchase fresh stock each year. Not sure if this will solve the problem. In any case, I will find out because I don't have enought for the November planting anyway..

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 1:45PM
hamiltongardener(CAN 6a)

Nikki

You would have to harvest it this year. They will probably be smaller bulbs but that's OK.

For next year, plant your garlic late October to harvest the following year. The bulbs will be bigger.

Yes, garlic survives the winter freeze. in fact, it needs a couple good weeks of cold weather in order to trigger it to bulb. You can get the same effect by keeping it in a cold frige for several weeks before planting in spring.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 7:27PM
nikkisgarden(5)

Ok thank you for the information. I wasn't sure what to do. This is the first year for garlic...

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™