When is garlic ready

snappybob(SaTexas Zone 8)April 3, 2007

I planted garlic for the first time last fall. How can I tell when it is ready to harvest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

I'm a few zones away from you so I'm guessing that you grow softnecks which I'm pretty sure behave the same as my stuff when it comes to harvesting. Normally, garlic is ready to harvest when the leaves have started to turn brown and shrivel and there are 4-5 green ones left on the plant.

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 8:15AM
garliclady(z7 NC)

Here it is usually ready for harvest from late May through late June depending on the variety. I don't know if you are in the humid or dry part of texas but here in the humid NC we harvest when about 1/3 -1/2 of the plant has browned out. Getting them out of the ground when it is dry is usually a problem here so we will harvest alittle early vs a little late. If you planted any Turbans They will be the earliest harvest.

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 11:29AM
glenn9643(z8 MS)

I'm in Monroe, LA so maybe you can compare with your zone. My turbans, Shantung Purple, Chinese Pink, and Xian, are usually ready in the first week of May with the rest a week or so later. Also have several creoles, Creole Red, Ajo Rojo Creole, Burgundy Creole, and Spanish Morado Creole, and a few Music, Lorz Italian, and Siberian. None of it looks good this year.

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™