straw mulch

bwehner(4/5 IA)April 23, 2005

I mulch my garlic with straw from the time it's planted until harvest. As the straw breaks down does it tie up nitrogen needed by the garlic? I fertilize in the fall and in the spring. Would it hurt to spread a fertilizer that is high in nitrogen to help in the breakdown of the straw. My concern is over fertilization of my garlic. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Nitrogen is not the only nutrient needed to good garlic growth. A good example of a balanced fertilizer for onions and garlic (side dress the garlic) is from Dixondale Farms as a 10-20-10 mix of NPK. Straw doesn't have enough of any nutrient to help garlic grow better on its own., and just adding nitrogen will give you something other than a healthy garlic.

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 1:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jayreynolds(zone 6/7)

I've found that straw isn't one of the worst offenders when it comes to tying up nitrogen, until it gets incorporated into the soil, anyways. It is one of the best mulches for attracting healthy earthworm populations because it provides them with food and protection 24/7.

If you are buying commercial fertilizer, you are already paying(via a tax levied on all fertilizers) for a free soil test available from your county extension agent. Get your soil measured and you'll know where you stand.

Overfertilization by commercial nitrogen will generally manifest itself by a "burned" appearance, especially on leaf tips.

Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™