Globemaster

pennyviolet(z5 CT)April 8, 2006

This may sound goofy, but I have an emerging crest of a plant this spring that resembles pineapple top. Could this be the globemaster I planted last fall? I've always visualised the blossom rather than the foliage, and this isn't what I expected!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sallym(z4 MN)

Yes! Now that you mention it, that's a good description of what they look like in early spring. So it's the first year then for your globemaster? You're going to love it!
Sally

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 3:13PM
pennyviolet(z5 CT)

Thanks, Sally, for your swift reply. It is indeed the first year of my first globemaster! Any advice or words of wisdom for me?

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 4:14PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Don't water them much. They like it well drained and rather dry. If so, they'll reward you with more bulbs next year and next year. I planted some of mine in pots. I rarely water them. I'm getting new babies every every year. The ones in the ground have also multiplied.
:-)

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 9:54PM
outinthegardenallday(Zone 7, LI,NY)

Pennyviolet, this is my first year with Globemaster as well. Every single bulb came up. I planted some of them amongst the hostas out back.

Do you have any other alliums planted? My first attempt was with Albo Pilosum (Christophii)...they added such a different element to the garden. And I loved it when folks would walk by the front, stop and say "what is that?"

I see you're in Ct. Where did you get your Globemasters? I purchased mine from Scheepers - the bulbs were huge.

Ciao,
OITGAD

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 6:37AM
chateauclubcrest

A globemaster that I planted 3 years ago has been dug up once and divided. This year, the original bulb is sending up a sort of wimpy stalk--it just doesn't look as good as it did the first few years and the "babies" that I took off of it look much more robust. Anyone else have this experience? Any advice?

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 9:56PM
pennyviolet(z5 CT)

Hello OITGAD,
The Globemaster is my one and only so far, but I'm getting such a kick out of it I'd like to add other alliums. I bought the bulb at Holdridge's Garden Center in Ledyard, whom I trust totally. Need that trust to spend so much on one bulb!

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Garlic green die back?
So my garlic bulbs must have sprouted in November during...
urban_will
'Moritz' egyptian onion?
I thought I would try posting this again since it has...
shane11
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Newbie to garlic growing
I would like to try a variety of bulbs this fall. Anyone...
Sunnygran55
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Sponsored Products
C-124C Globemaster - AC124T
$148.86 | Hayneedle
C-17 Globemaster III 1/164 - CC017T
$153.99 | Hayneedle
C-17 Globemaster III 1/100 - CC0172T
$199.95 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™