Seed heads on Shallots?

Ron_and_Patty(z7 GA)April 29, 2005

Some of the shallots we planted last fall have seed heads...will it help produce larger bulbs if I cut them off?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

I think it will, as its what you do with garlic in order to get bigger heads. I've just planted both some seeds as well as bulbs and hope that by the end of summer, I will have some tops, or at least more than I planted.

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 1:49PM
Ron_and_Patty(z7 GA)

Thanks ksrogers. Good luck with your shallots. We have lots of scapes already on our Chinese Pink and Elephant Garlic, but none on Music and Lorz... And the onions have seed heads as well. I recently read that is unusual for onions, so I am wondering if it is also unusual for shallots.

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 10:17AM
garliclady(z7 NC)

Elephant scapes usually are first for me Music will come later and Lorz will have no scapes they are a softneck.
The Garlic Lady

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 11:03AM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

The only things I see that can be called shallots are the actual bulbs and small black seeds from the tops that blossom.

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 2:13PM
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

Depending on a lot of things, onions often are prone to bolt. Especially sets. If they are subjected to stress, ie, lack of water or extreme heat,they seem to like to put up those seed heads. At least that the way it goes here.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 11:43PM
nanelle_gw(9/Sunset 14)

I get seed beads on my yellow shallots every year and I remove them.

Bookmark   May 8, 2005 at 11:52PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

The round ball of seeds produced by a chive can become invasive. Even though I usually put all the seeds back into the same chive area, a few get away. This year, a couple are sprouting where my soaker hoses are stored during winter, which is at the opposite end of my garden. I also had a few coming up for several years next to my patio, and still can't figure out how they got there. I have removed them and sprayed the area with weed killer for two years now, and they still show up every spring..

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 1:11PM
keithnrose(z6.5MD)

My limited understanding: Onions are biennials. They are programmed to bolt in their 2nd year. When they do bolt, it may not be their 2nd year, but they think it is (i.e. they're under stress, etc.). Shallots: Not all types bolt. I have little experience growing those that do, but I do have some this year. I'll let some bolt and see what happens. Will report my results later this year in the allium forum.

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™