planting last year's onions?

sandy0225(z5 Indiana)April 5, 2005

I have some onions left over from last year which are sprouting now. I need to plant some onions, too. Can I just divide the sprouts up and plant them singly and get decent onions from the divisions? Or will they just bloom right away? Has anyone done this and what was the outcome? They were onions from sets (75%), and onions from seed (25%).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paquebot(Z-4b WI)

Sets or seeds, doesn't matter. Both will go to seed very quickly. If you can live with some early large scallions, go ahead and plant them. They are great for that. I used to do that all the time before I accumulated such an abundance of perennial multipliers. However, I could never convince them to make another large bulb!

Martin

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 12:50PM
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

If you want to raise some seed, plant only one kind, preferably not a hybrid. Plant two kinds and you will get a cross. Of course, you never know what you will get then.

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 12:46AM
Patsyptrsn(z4 minnesota)

I have planted them in the past, I gave them their own bed and let them go to seed. I now get a continuous crop of green onion. I grow for farmers market so have source to get rid of them. Patty

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 11:42AM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

I went ahead and planted them, guess what? blooms already forming! You were right. I liked Patty's idea about the perpetual onion bed though, I'm going to do that with them. Thanks for all the help...
Sandy

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 7:36AM
More Discussions
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™