Almost Ready?

bettsyy(z7 SETN)April 7, 2005

I planted some sweet yellow onions last fall. They are now begining to send up a stalk with a bulb like tip (a flower?) Does this mean they are about ready to pull or should I cut off that stalk and let them continue? Thanks! Betsy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Not sure, but with garlic doing a similar thing as to sending up a blossom, I would remove them and let them continue to grow a while longer, or until the leaves start to topple and turn brown.

Bookmark   April 7, 2005 at 12:46PM
paquebot(Z-4b WI)

Cut off the flower stalks of all bulbing onions if you want them to form bulbs. If not, all energy will go into the flowers and no bulb will form. Use those bulbs first as they will not store very long.

Martin

Bookmark   April 7, 2005 at 9:46PM
bettsyy(z7 SETN)

Thanks ya'll, I will cut them off tomorrow. One other thing, should I cut them off at the base of the plant or just under the bud or does it matter one way or the other?

Bookmark   April 7, 2005 at 10:20PM
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

Cut the whole scape off (bud & stalk) Good luck on getting bulbs. Once I get scapes they don't form bulbs. Look up some other varities for your area. You may have to try a few till you find one or two that will do well in your area.
Did you perhaps plant sets? If so, buy transplants or plant seed and raise your own. Sets often bolt.

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 12:12AM
More Discussions
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™