Cutting Garlic Tops will it hurt the bulbs?

lnewportApril 5, 2011

Does anyone know if you cut the garlic tops too often will it impact the growth of the bulb? My mother and I love cooked garlic greens so I'm debating on growing a section of garlic just for the greens and another for the bulbs.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I think the answer is yes. The green top together with the roots supplie the nutrient for the bulb growth. So when you cut the top, it will spend all its energy trying to regrow leaves. I do cut the top of leeks and use the greens as chive/scallion. This does not matter, because I don't grow leeks for bulbs.
Even drastic reduction of the number of leaves of onions and galics can adversely affect the bulb size.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 9:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neohippie(8b)

Are you growing hardneck or elephant garlic? Those grow scapes which you can cut off and eat. I eat my scapes, and it doesn't seem to hurt the bulb.

I see you live in Austin. Elephant garlic is easy to grow here, but some hardnecks won't do well in our area, and some will. You'll have to experiment. Georgian Fire is doing well for me so far.

If you are going to grow a section of garlic just for green garlic, you could plant smaller cloves for that, and bigger cloves for bulbs. Small cloves don't make nice big bulbs anyway, so might as well.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™