Fall garlic

CaraRoseApril 23, 2013

I'm trying to get a sense of about when garlic planted in the fall gets harvested. If it's 90-150 days to maturity, do the winter months count for that or will the growth be slower once things freeze over?

If I plant some now for spring, harvest in fall, replant over winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elffriend(zone 5 ON)

I usually harvest mine in July.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:13PM
gemini_jim(7 MD)

Where do you get that DTM? My garlic matures any time from late May to mid July, depending on the variety, so I guess 90-150 days from resumption of spring growth (about the end of February around here) could be about right.

Some varieties started growing in November, while others basically sat still until February, though all were planted about the same time. Bulb formation is also affected by day length, so any DTM is going to be subject to many variables it seems to me.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:41AM
planatus(6)

Cara, like daffodils and tulips, garlic is tied to the rhythms of the changing seasons. In the dry Mediterranean regions from which it came, its survival was insured by going dormant from midsummer to late fall, the dry season. Soil moisture cycles, temperature changes, and day length combine to trigger various phases of the garlic life cycle. You can't therefore change its planting dates and expect success. Plant in fall or early spring, because that's how garlic knows how to grow.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:49AM
CaraRose

Burpee lists DTM for most varieties as 90-150. Gurneys lists it as 120+.

I'm not thinking about changing the cycle, just trying to figure out how to plan the garden. I was trying to figure out if I could cycle continually plantings (plant spring, harvest in fall, replant for fall, harvest spring, replant for spring), but it sounds like the fall planting would mature too late to replant for spring.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 12:28PM
gemini_jim(7 MD)

I think the best you could do is extend the season a little with overlapping plantings. One in the fall for early summer harvest, the other in the spring for late summer harvest. You might want to follow garlic with fall greens and/or brassicas. In my zone I had time to grow a crop of cukes after the garlic came out.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 1:13PM
planatus(6)

Garlic stores so well that one planting can provide a year's supply. Also, when garlic matures, it becomes dormant for 3-6 months and will not sprout. You can plant different types (early and late) to split up the harvest, but because the curing process requires attention, harvestiing the crop all at once has its advantages.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:27AM
Hammerga

Planatus is right. I plant once and have garlic til the next crop, with some left over. And curing is important and being careful not to bruise also. I think temperature seems to trigger when it is time to harvest. as it seems to vary from year to year.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Yellow Onions Sprouted in my Kitchen
Hi. I have some big yellow onions that I bought at...
sistercrystal
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Garlic green die back?
So my garlic bulbs must have sprouted in November during...
urban_will
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Garlic "forcing" experiment?
Last Fall I intended to plant rocambole garlic cloves...
tomtuxman
Sponsored Products
Prop Light Round Wall Light by Moooi
$3,880.00 | Lumens
Adagio Cottonwood Falls Fountain w/ Green Featherstone in Stainless Steel Finish
SerenityHealth
Garlic Roaster
$8.99 | zulily
Blue Splendor Vase
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Wood Fall Water Fountain
Overstock.com
Come Full Circle Chair
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
Room Magic 2-in-1 Star Rocket Crib - RM22-SR
$487.00 | Hayneedle
Hand-tufted Penelope Orange/ Ivory Wool Rug (3' x 3')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™