Cheap nitrogen

calm1(6)April 25, 2010

Hello all,

What can I use as a cheap source of nitrogen on onions & garlic? Preferably organic.

Thanks

Ed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brookw_gw

Ed, there are multiple meals such as alfalfa, which are pretty high in N, but they are also quite pricey and slower to release. I use ammonium sulphate: 21% N and $10 for 50 lbs at most farm supplies. It is also a good acidifier for blueberries.

Brook

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 4:08PM
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

My organic thoughts are:
Chicken manure
Feather meal
Blood meal
Fish meal

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 7:41PM
namfon

Alfalfa Meal is about $15.00 for a 50# bag at our local farm supply store. Cottenseed meal ( some do not consider this organic though ) is about the same, Blood Meal is a bit more pricey

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 6:10PM
cyrus_gardner(8)

Horse manure.
You may find some for free, if you can haul it.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 10:03PM
glib(5.5)

I have a magic jug in the garage that fills itself with urea solution every day. It is totally free, totally organic, totally renewable, and that jug takes care of a large garden by itself. Trace minerals and K are also present in the solution. You only need to add water, 5 to 1, to further dilute the solution. Many GW members have such contraptions.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 10:25PM
catherine_nm

LOL, I was thinking of that urea solution myself, but couldn't quite bring myself to mention it. I haven't even told my kids what is fertilizing the tomatoes, although I suspect my son would be HAPPY to contribute. A bit TOO happy. Ah, 8-yo boys are eager to run around the yard "contributing" that sort of fertilizer!

Catherine

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 3:08PM
tracydr(9b)

Is there anything that will fertilize the garden and repel bunnies? They are just wiping out my front garden, mowing down the violets, basil and peppers. They've even eaten the green onions that I planted as a barrier!
I've heard bloodmeal works but it seems to attract cats and dogs.

Bookmark   May 25, 2010 at 11:20PM
catepelose(7A)

Hair... you could get it from a barber shop but if you're weirded out by that just use your families hair trimmings... I'm lucky to have a very hairy dog who also contributes :). Hair slowly releases nitrogen so it wont burn plants and it deters deer as well (yay for that!).

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™