Garlic Scapes Already?

maryo25(7)April 29, 2012

Hi Everyone-

I was checking my garlic today and noticed scapes already!!! I'm in southern middle TN and I planted in October. Aren't they about a month early?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
austinnhanasmom(5 CO)

I am new to garlic - third year - but my garlic never went dormant this year.

I haven't yet seen scapes, but was wondering if my garlic will finish sooner???

The bases of some varieties are just huge! And some leaves are 4' tall.

I can't answer your question, but am interested to see if you harvest sooner then normal.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 5:23PM
maryo25(7)

Well, looking back at my notes from last year, I cut my first scapes on May 12th, and pulled my first garlic on July 3rd. So maybe they are not early?? This is also my third year doing garlic. The first year they came up pretty good, last year I had a record number of small cloves, don't know why since I didn't plant any and this year I have some huge ones as well. (used all the small cloves for cooking!) I haven't really watered them at all, either, just a time or two when we didn't have any rain for a few weeks. This year if I get any small cloves I will re-plant them and use them as green onions!

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 6:12PM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

No, not early for an early variety. My earliest varieties are just beginning to put out scapes, but the Early Italian Purple is starting to grow again, too, because we have had too much rain too late.

None of the porcelains, for example, nor the Korean Red or Rojo are showing any sign of a scape.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 6:41PM
Garylane(6)

Here in northern ok. I have been pulling scapes 2 weeks ago and looks like i will be harvesting early here, plan on digging two early varieties in bout a week as they are dieing back already and have nice sized bulbs.\
Gary

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™