Yellow Onions Sprouted in my Kitchen

sistercrystalApril 25, 2006

Hi. I have some big yellow onions that I bought at the store. I didn't use them up and now they have sprouted really thick green plants. Can I plant them and grow onions? How does that work? Will I get a bunch of onions? Do I need to separate the onion? Can I grow them in a container? How do I keep away maggots from eating them?

Thanks so much!

Crystal

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
negi(8b)

Here is what works best for me.
4 gallon or so Pot.
Fill pot almost half way with wood chips. Fill rest of pot with rich potting soil. (I use mushroom dirt with about 2 tablespoons each of crushed lime and greensand.) I top this with wood chips and I sprinkle that with a bit of diatomaceous earth. This time of year I would set it in partial shade. Keep soil moist, you should have great drainage with the wood chip bottom. It will probably go to flower. It may make more than one plant. It may devide after going to flower. Onions are a great mystery. Taste some of the flowers, they are hot and spicy in a salad. If you know someone in your area that has fun growing onions, get their advice. Onions act different in different soils, latitudes and climates.

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 7:29PM
username_5(banned for no reason)

You can plant the onion and it will grow, but forget about the bulb, it is all downhill from here. The bulb is beginning the second year of it's life where it's sole mission is to produce seed. To do this it will use up the bulb which is it's stored food reserves from last year.

I prefer to feed them to the soil and it's inhabitants.

If you want some vertical interest in a container planting you can stick an onion in the middle and it takes the place of those spikes you often see in containers. You can also harvest the greens that grow and use them in soups, relishes, dips or whatever. They have a nice onion taste.

The bulb though is no longer suitable for eating, its quality will continue to deteriorate rapidly.

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 9:51PM
t3103_yahoo_com

How do you plant this bulb(onion with green sprouts) with green sprouts already,just like a regular plant and how deep, what direction should the green sprouts be, up?Do you make a mound of dirt ,how far apart,how much sun?

Would like advice as I have one in my kitchen that every one wants to know about,and I want ONIONS,but have never grown them,

Thanks for any advice!

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 11:16AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Just plant it deep enough so that the tip is not covered.
What you will get is nice green thick leaves early on. If you leave it alone, it will bolt, flower and poduce seeds. You can then plant the seeds. BUT it might not be the right kind for your area to make good bulb.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 6:02AM
dougromedy(9)

A friend of mine thinks I should cut the bottom half of my onion off and then plant it. Right now I have i sitting in a bowl that's half full of water. Do I need to cut the onion at all? Mine looks like it may be 3 plants. Do I need to separate them? And if I grow this, am I only going to get seeds and no onions? If so, how many seeds do they produce on average?

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 4:47PM
landscraper82(4a - ND)

Probably too late, since it's been a few weeks...But, in my opinion the only thing you are going to get is either:

A.) Nice big green shoots, which will be delicious :)

-or-

B.) A nice little flower that will eventually produce tons and tons of seed. After the flower head dries out, simply put a paper bag over the flower head, bend it over, and snip it off. Then, to get the seeds loose you shake and shake the closed bag! Ta-da.

But as another poster commented, since you bought it at a grocery store it will be hard to tell if that particular onion will grow well in your area....I live in ND and we get onions at our markets shipped up from Texas, which in no way, shape, or form would grow anything more than a green onion up here.

Anyhoo....worth a shot. Could be a fun project.

Oh...and don't worry about cutting the bulb, and no worries about separating anything.

Hope any of that helps!

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 5:10PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I don't thik it is too late to plant it. Onions are very though. Once planted you will get some large onion greens and a flower stalk. may be more. You can just harvest the greens and use it like green onions. Or just let it flower. You will get pretty globe shaped flower(s) that will attract a lot of bees. then let it ripe and collect the seeds. The onions grown from the seeds might not be suitable for your area but definitly you can plant them for green onion uses.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:25PM
dellr

Actually, these onions can be re-grown if you follow the following procedures... the onions won't be suitable for onion rings however but good everywhere else because i did it last year. the onion will divide into 2-3 parts in the same bulb and each part will be another plant thus dividing the round bulb into multiple sections.

in the center, a stalk will come up with something round on the top. this is the flower head. remove it at the bulb as soon as it appears so all the energy will go back into growing a bulb. keep maggots away by using lime. i'm trying a new method of growing onions after researching how professional growers plant (they only plant half the onion below ground and the other half above ground making it easier to get fat and easier to harvest), i'll let you know.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 3:50PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

The onion sprouted in your kitchen has completed half of its normal cycle, that is becoming a BULB. Next half of its life cycle (if given the opportunity) is to produce seeds. That is why it will set the stage for bolting , flowering and producing seeds. Obviously, it will produce a bulb too but not a good one. I have done this many times with my sprouted onions in the kitchen. Same story. I save the seeds to plant for scallions not for bulb onions. Because starting and growing onion from seeds(what, where, when, how..) is too technical... believe it or not. But planting for scallions is simple, just like planting chives.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 4:23AM
More Discussions
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
Garlic "forcing" experiment?
Last Fall I intended to plant rocambole garlic cloves...
tomtuxman
garlic suppliers
Buying garlic is sure hard. I have saved the best of...
little_minnie
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
what (if anything) to plant with garlic?
Hey all, Last fall I planted a bunch of garlic in 2...
pegleg48
Sponsored Products
'Eat Sleep Breathe' Baseball 17-Oz. Insulated Tumbler
$7.49 | zulily
Sample-Talon White Carrera and Bardiglio Marble Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
AHB Alexander 24 in. Swivel Counter Stool - Silver - 124758SI-L50
$219.95 | Hayneedle
Olive You Jar
$37.99 | Dot & Bo
Oceanstar 18-bottle Stackable Wine Rack
Overstock.com
Outdoor Area Rug: Escape Sandals Sand/Multi 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Trademark Global 14 in. Nashville Predators NHL Neon Wall Clock NHL1400-NP
$69.99 | Home Depot
Provence red linen napkins (set of four)
Origin Crafts
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™