Any Ideas?

bailey99April 28, 2010

Last fall I planted 5 lbs of Porcelain and 5 lbs of Rocambole in two raised beds of 5 rows each (5 rows of Rocambole in one bed and 3 rows of Porcelain + 2 rows of Rocambole in the other). This Spring, the Porcelain is doing fantastic, however the Rocambole is showing substantial yellowing on 90% of the plants. Each bed is roughly 3 feet wide and there is about 2 feet between the two beds. Any ideas?? (both types of planting stock were grown in the local region last year)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

It seems unlikely that there is some soil difference in rows so close to one another but is it possible there's some unseen physical soil factor affecting the rows, like moisture or fertility or acidity?
I'd hate to worry you about major issues like botrytis but is is it possible you got infected seed garlic?

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 12:27AM
bailey99

I can't see it being the soil, it's been worked for 10+ years and the seed stock is from the same source so I imagine if the Rocambole was infected the Porcelain would be as well. The contrast between the two is shocking. The Porcelain is picture perfect. Some of stalks as thick as my thumb already. Is it possible this could be a climate/acclimation issue? I'm about 40 miles north of the seed source, but at least 1000 ft higher in elevation (it did snow her two nites ago and it's in the lower 30s right now, but that's not really uncommon).

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 7:55AM
wcthomas

Might try hitting them with a bit of Nitrogen (Urea type lawn fertilizer works well). Garlic loves Nitrogen at this stage, and perhaps the Rocamboles are more sensitive.

My Rocamboles (German Red, Killarney Red, Spanish Roja, and Russian Red) and my Porcelains (German White) are equal and beautiful and richly green.

TomNJ

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™