Elephant Garlic in northern mountainous regions?

warren4321April 4, 2010

Here's a question for the gurus.

I have many, many times tried to grow elephant garlic in my little region of Maine. I have figured out the intricacies of getting it to survive and thrive even through the false springs, spring flooding, summer droughts, etc, that are common here. However, I cannot get it to grow as elephant garlic. It ALWAYS develops into Pearl Garlic, which is the same species, but grows very very different. Pearl Garlic is a valuable crop, the US even imports it from the Himalayan mountain region, but it requires much more work to harvest than garlic.

What I'm wondering, is if there is a trick into getting it to grow into the normal garlic form in northern mountainous regions, or is it just programmed to grow as Pearl Garlic in this region, no matter what I do? I have a feeling that the answer will be the latter, but...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bloosquall(Wa 6)

I really don't understand what the problem is here other than maybe you are planting the little tan colored seeds that grow on the outside of the elephant bulbs. if you planted the elephant cloves like you should it would grow into another bulb.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 8:38PM
korney19(z6a Buffalo, NY)

are you planting it in the fall and harvesting it in July? When you say "Pearl" garlic, are you talking about garlic rounds? Rounds are immature heads/bulbs that didn't divide to cloves yet. Maybe you are harvesting them too early or planting them too late?

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 12:28PM
cyrus_gardner(8)

I think, if you plant those pearl garlics or better yet EG cloves in the fall (maybe early spring in Mane), you should get multi-clove garlic. JMO.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™