Maitake Garlic question?

glane1219(northern OK.)May 16, 2005

Hi everyone, I have a question about my Matake garlic that I'm growing, The Maitake plants started sending up scapes about ten days ago and the scapes seem to have stopped only part way out of the leaves on the plants, you can't break them off because the stem is still hidden.

Most of my other hardnecks have since stated sending up scapes and I have been cutting them off when they get 6 to 8 inches tall.

Just wondering if anyone else has grown Maitake and had any problems with the scapes, As this is supposed to be a very early maturing garlic I would like to break off the scapes to help with the size of the bulbs, which are already enlargeing close to 2 inch bulbs already.

Thanks in advance for any input .

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanelle_gw(9/Sunset 14)

I don't remember the scapes, but here's a picture of the bulbs when I pulled them this time last year. I just pulled my sonoran for '05 which have the same wrapper as the clean(er) ones, so the clean ones MAY be sonoran. OTOH, some of my sonoran look like the blackish runty ones too...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonoran and Maitake

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 12:55PM
garliclady(z7 NC)

I noticed on some of our turban and asiatic types (which yours are) the scapes are doing that. It seems a leaf stays curled around the scape making it look like it hasn't grown. I split the leaf and the scape is long and can be broken at the base. It seems like since they have a week flower stalk and don't do a lot of curling that they have a tendancy to do that.
The Garlic Lady

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 1:57PM
glane1219(northern OK.)

Hi, Thanks for the information Garlic Lady, and great looking garlic pictures Nanelle.
Gary

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Newbie to garlic growing
I would like to try a variety of bulbs this fall. Anyone...
Sunnygran55
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
How are your storage alliums doing?
How are people's garlic and onions standing up to storage...
OldDutch
Garlic "forcing" experiment?
Last Fall I intended to plant rocambole garlic cloves...
tomtuxman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™