Advice needed for new to allium gardener

herbgal921(z6/KY)May 1, 2005

I've looked through catalogs and have fallen in love with the Gladiator Allium. I want them for cut flowers.

I have a very nice garden spot just waiting for something. :) It's a 12'x 20' and it gets good sunlight...the soil is good, not sandy or clay like. It's very convenient to water too! But I know very little about growing these beauties.

The information that I have gathered from searching is that they do not "spread" on their own. What do I need to do in order to take the first 12 bulbs that I would like to order and turn them into a full fledged garden? My experience is mostly with ornamental grasses and herbs...they spread on their own!

Is there any other Alliums that you would recommend as a cut flower...something showy and out of the ordinary.

Thank you in advance for any help that you might give me.

K:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

My Allium 'Galdiator' did multiply. although not all of the new babies flower the first year. 'Globemaster' does multiply as well. The flowers get smaller in subsequent years. They do not like wet feet at all. Therefore, keep them on the dry side and definitely plant them in very well drained areas.

Allium aflatunenese & hollandicum 'Purple Sensation', moly,sphaerocephalon also make good cut flowers. Allium pulchelum and albopilosum might makegood cut flowers too, but I guard mine jelousy so nobody cuts them.

That said, last year, someone helped herself with 6 of my 'Goblemaster' that I intentionnally left uncut. :-(

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 11:04PM
herbgal921(z6/KY)

Thanks for the education and the suggestions.

Sorry about your "Globemaster." :(

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 9:45AM
oldroser(z5)

I planted a globe flowering onion many, many years ago on a bank which never became part of the garden and was abandoned to whatever would grow. What grew was onions - there are now maybe thirty or forty of them that come up every year and flower even though over-run with briars, goldenrod, etc. Each spring I promise myself to dig some up and move them to the garden - and then summer comes and I'm buried in things to do and the onions go and do their thing all by themselves.

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 8:05PM
RickStacy(z6 Pittsburgh)

My Globemaster Alliums are about to burst into bloom, but the foliage looks terrible. The tips of the leaves are turning yellow and look like they've been burned. Any ideas?

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 11:13AM
mebarry117

RickStacy - did you sprinkle Preen anywhere near them? They HATE Preen.
Does anyone know the correct time to divide? Mine are multiplying and I want to divide them this year.

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 10:11PM
shaygirl12768_yahoo_com

The foliage of the globemasters start to turn yellow and wilt when the flower is starting to bloom! I have read up a lot on these flowers and the only thing people do it plant things in front of the foliage to hide it!!!

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™