Yellow Granex transplants bolting

tracymo(5)May 31, 2010

I planted some Yellow Granex transplants in April-ish, and several of them are developing scapes. Why would a transplant bolt? Do they tend to bolt if it gets too hot and they don't have sufficient water? I was gone from home for 10 days, and my neighbor looked after the garden while I was gone, but it hasn't been watered frequently.

Tracy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
promethean_spark

Onions bolt because they were exposed to too cold of temperatures while large enough to have the energy to flower. If a lot of them are bolting, you may have planted them out too early, or just had an unlucky cold spring.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 2:10PM
farmerdilla

Yellow Granex is a short day onion, developed for winter growing in the deep south. They bulb when daylengh reaches 10 hours. Plant them in April and they already have the signal to bulb, since they are too small to accomplish that , they try desperately to reproduce ie produce seed. Yellow Granex was the original Vidalia Onion, today more tha 20 varieties are used but all are short day Yellow Granex look alikes. In Kansas you should be growing summer onions, probably intermediates like Candy but possibly long day onions like Sweet Spanish.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 3:54PM
tracymo(5)

Thanks, guys. I got the transplants from a local nursery, so I figured they knew what they were selling. I've also got Walla Walla, Yellow and White Sweet Spanish, and Texas Sweet. The only ones bolting are the Yellow Granex. Should the others be ok?

Tracy

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 10:39PM
farmerdilla

The Walla Walla, which is a Sweet Spanish type, and the yellow and white Sweet Spanish should be fine in your climate. They should start bulbing in late June. Texas Sweet ( if they are Bonnie plants) will be White Granex and problematic. Any that start running seed stalks can be used as green onions/scallions.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 4:14PM
tracymo(5)

Thanks!

Tracy

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
Can I wait to plant garlic?
Hi - I have planted all the garlic I can in the room...
jennieboyer
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
garlic suppliers
Buying garlic is sure hard. I have saved the best of...
little_minnie
Oat Straw
I've mulched my garlic with a nice covering of oat...
Ricko1
Garlic green die back?
So my garlic bulbs must have sprouted in November during...
urban_will
Sponsored Products
Yellow & Purple Square Ribbon Plate
$22.99 | zulily
Cashel Yellow 18 x 18 Paisley Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Lemon Twist Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Fire Flower Throw Blanket
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Deluna Sofa - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture