Does ornamental allium smell like garlic?

claysoil(z6 PA)May 23, 2009

Hi, I posted this question at the bulb forum and someone suggested that I post it here....which makes sense! I did a quick search of the archives right after the trade arrived and found one post...but when I went back to look for it again I couldn't find it! I hope someone can help me with my question. Are there ornamental alliums that smell like garlic???

I have some ornamental allium and never detected an odor to it. I did a trade for some more "allium" and when it arrived the sealed envelope sat in my kitchen for a couple of hours. When I got home, my house reeked of garlic. Several of the bulbs had been damaged in transit and the package took a week to arrive, could that account for the smell? I contacted the person who sent them saying that I had expected ornamental allium, not garlic. She is insisting that what she sent is not garlic. I know that common names differ from place to place, but when I did a search of the internet the information I found verified what I thought....that ornamental allium may have a mild onion smell.

Does anyone have experience with an ornamental allium that has a strong garlic odor? Or is there an ornamental garlic that looks like allium?????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
holldoll777

I have one in my yard that smells VERY garlicky. It's called Society Garlic. It gets a purple flower on it. Every time I'm even working near it I can smell it.

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 12:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

The stems and leaves reek of garlic! Yes, they do! But the flowers themselves do not smell.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Garlic Plants are Coming Up (Fall 2014)
I planted some garlic bulbs about 2-3 weeks ago. And...
redsun9
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™