Silly Garlic Mistake

katrs5(z5IN)May 6, 2005

My head/bulb of garlic arrived the other day, and I promptly put it in the ground. Ummm....I don't know what I was thinking, but I think I was supposed to separate the bulb into cloves and plant individual cloves. Can someone verify this is right. I guess I expected a garlic tree to sprout or something (not really, as I know the garlic grows under ground). I just never expected to have to separate what they sent me I guess

Can I dig it up and separate now? Sorry for such a silly mistake....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Warthog7(8 OR)

Yes, you do plant the individual cloves. If its only been a few days try digging round bulb and see if its rooted yet. The roots if started should be small so just take care not to damage roots.

Warthog, whos dogs dig up cloves all the time and they still manage to produce a bulb.

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 6:37PM
UncleJohn(z4 NH)

Carefully dig up the bulb and separate it into cloves. Plant the cloves poiny side up about 2" deep, 6" apart. And start thinking about this fall. In zone 5 you should plant in fall. It is tons of fun, you get to garden in the fall, and then you barely have to do anything until harvest time. (but I still check up on my babies daily) I would recommend hardnecks mainly for zone 5; I am zone 4 and of the one softneck variety I planted only 3 cloves of about 20 survived. By contrast, only 3-4 cloves out of over 200 hardnecks haven't sprouted. Check out some online sources and choose a couple for next season.

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 9:39PM
gardenlad(6b KY)

Alternatively, you can leave the whole clump to grow as green garlic----scallions made of garlic instead of onions.

As the summer progresses, carefully uncover the bulb, break off the stalks you want, then recover the bulb. Leave the best of them in the ground, and, next spring, it will be the same as if you'd fall-planted a clove. Next summer you'll get a full head from the one you left behind.

Bookmark   May 7, 2005 at 5:32PM
Cleveland_gal(z6 OH)

Ok, this is my first attempt at growing garlic and I did the same thing. :(

I planted them 3 weeks ago, though, and they've sent up little green shoots. Is it too late to separate the cloves and try again?

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 9:59AM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

When I plant garlic its usually by the end of the summer for the next years crop. Thats whats going on right now. All my garlic is getting foot long greens and when they start to send up scapes, they will be left only a short time longer when the greens die out. Digging them up now and seperating the cloves may be OK, but don't expect any big garlic bulbs this year, unless they grow very well through summer in z6 without bolting first.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 1:07PM
UncleJohn(z4 NH)

Cleveland, if you planted more than one head, maybe you want to dig up and separate some, and leave the rest as is? I am a firm believer of eggs and baskets.

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Garlic green die back?
So my garlic bulbs must have sprouted in November during...
urban_will
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Oat Straw
I've mulched my garlic with a nice covering of oat...
Ricko1
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Sponsored Products
Joy Carpets Silly String Area Rug Multicolor - 1519-B
$129.99 | Hayneedle
CorLiving Bistro Counter Height Dining Chairs - Pewter Gray Sand - Set of 2 Mult
$239.00 | Hayneedle
Foremost Shower Enclosures Cove 56 in. to 60 in. x 72 in. H. Frameless Sliding
Home Depot
New Oriental Rug Tribal Afghan Baluch Blue Runner Hand Knotted Wool Rug Free Pad
BH Sun Inc
Kitchen Blackboard
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Deluxe Garlic Press - Blue
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Set of Three Beer Bottle Toys
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
Free Pad New Geometric Veg Dyed Runner Rug Baluch Hand Knotted Wool Red-Blue
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™