Softneck garlic harvesting

Jackleroy(6)May 25, 2013

I planted a few cloves last fall just to see what happened. I'm in Massachusetts, so i know hardneck fares much better, but I really had no reason not to try.

Only one plant came up early this season an I was hoping to get a few opinions on when to pull it. This variety won't be growing a scape, but it's about one foot high and the bottom leaf has browned and died with the remaining tips following suit.

What should I be looking for as a sign that it's ready but not over-ripened?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planatus(6)

You should be able to count at least 7 leaves before it's finished growing, and I only count 5 (the withered one counts because it was a real leaf). Many plants go to 9 leaves. Even if it is a very early variety, I would not expect it to be ready before mid June. My softnecks are still growing new leaves, and the hardnecks haven't started producing scapes. Give it time.

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 8:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

I harvested two kinds of soft neck last week. The mild winter here means that all the varieties I grow will be earlier than usual, even the hardnecks that I generally take in July look as if they will be ready in less than two weeks.

Also, I judge readiness by the dried leaves--at least four, better to have five. I usually end up with three layers of wrapper after I strip off the drying ones.

So, it all depends upon where you live and what kind of growing season you have had in any particular year.

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™