Garlic is sending up scapes!

glane1219(northern OK.)May 2, 2005

Hi, Went looking at the garlic and onions today. Both the Elephant and Maitake Garlic is just starting to send up scapes here, and digging down to check on the progress of the bulbs show the maitake to already be sizeing up nicely.

Now comes the waiting to harvest.

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Removing the scapes is important at this time.

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 2:10PM
heidi41(z5 Mass)

Yes, I admit that I am new to garlic....What are scrapes,Is it possibly a roundish thick "stem" coming up from the bulb. Boy do I feel foolish......Heidi

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 3:14PM
garliclady(z7 NC)

Yes it is . It is best to wait for it to start curling before breaking it off . I break mine when they look like shepherd hooks and not completely curled.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 7:37AM
gretan(6)

Do you cut the scapes at the top by the flower or at the bottom?

Bookmark   July 3, 2007 at 11:24AM
jeffnfran

Cut the scapes where it meets the top leaves. Douing so, will send energy back to growing the bulb.
If you don't cut the scape off, the bulb will be about a third of the size it could be.
BTW, you can cook the scape! Depending on the varietie, the flavor could be as strong as a clove it's self.

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 3:37PM
letafm41(8)

Had no idea what you guys were talking about . Scapes !!! I thought the stem of the garlic that curled and grew the beautiful round ball (flower) was there for a reason . Have grown garlic for 50 years , and never cut that off! I am shocked ,, what else will I learn on this site. I'll tell you guys one thing , that shepards hook stalk with the brown blossom on the end , is magnificent in a dried arrangement ! When you have company , everyone knows you love garlic! Oh bye the way , I freeze the excess garlic from one season to the next , just cut it off the stalk and put in Tupperware with the lid on and stick it in the freezer. Simple and so easy to grab what you need , wash and cut it up as you need it . Love this site , can't get away from it . Carry on Garlic Lovers ! Leta

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™