Nobody talkin' bout diggin' garlic yet!

glenn9643(z8 MS)May 3, 2006

I'll be first (to talk about it anyway).

Dug my Xian, Chinese Pink, and Shantung Purple today, and was pleased with the improvement over last year. Had about 35 hills of each and there were only a few bulbs smaller than 1-1/4", with most 2" or larger. I think next year I'll increase my spacing from 6" to 8" at least, as I noticed all the larger bulbs' roots were interlocked with the adjoing ones. Looking back at my old posts, I dug these varieties on 11 May last year. Seems like this year the size is better and they have better wrappers so maybe they'll keep better.

Still have Music (about 50 hills), Lorz Italian (18 hills), Siberian (about 65 hills), and about 35 hills each of Ajo Rojo Creole, Creole Red, Burgundy Creole, and Spanish Morado Creole. I'm guessing at least another month on these from how they look today.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanelle_gw(9/Sunset 14)

Good job! Mine are usually browning by now but we had a cool spring umtil about 5 days ago. I'm hoping to keep them in the ground for another month this year.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 10:21PM
gardenlad(6b KY)

Kind of early, yet, for most of the country.

Up here in Kentucky, Xian (and, presumably, other early maturing varieties) comes in in June. The rest start marturing long about July 4 or a week later, and progress from there.

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 9:42AM
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

Dug all my un-named purple stripes yesterday. Most are 2&1/2" or larger.Normally would be around June 15th.

Bookmark   May 21, 2006 at 11:56PM
nanelle_gw(9/Sunset 14)

Are you saying they started to die down early coho? Mine seem to be hanging in there longer than usual.

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 10:48PM
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

I used the 5 green leaves left, pull the head approach. Quite pleased with the results.

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 11:47PM
glenn9643(z8 MS)

The Music was a total loss; guess it just won't take this climate. The Siberian didn't do much either. There were a lot of rotted bulbs in both, and those not rotted didn't develop well. I may try a few hills of the Siberian again as I really like the large cloves when it does develop as it should.
Lorz Italian and Ajo Rojo Creole seemed to grow off better than last year. I'll dig the Creole Red, Burgundy Creole, and Spanish Morado Creole today.

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 8:49AM
nanelle_gw(9/Sunset 14)

Please post about the size on the creoles; I was dissappointed with mine the last two years and did not try them this year.I did plant a few unlabled ones from last year and the plants are pretty small so maybe ther ARE creoles...

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
Garlic "forcing" experiment?
Last Fall I intended to plant rocambole garlic cloves...
tomtuxman
Planting harneck garlic in spring (zone 2b)
Life got in the way of getting my garlic in this past...
macky77
Garlic Sprouting!
Which would be ideal....the only problem is I live...
landscraper82
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
Sponsored Products
Domitalia | Scala-Sgb Bar Stool, Set of 2
YLiving.com
Mount Vernon 1-lt Outdoor Hanging Pendant
LBC Lighting
Bianca 72" Wall-Mounted Double Bathroom Vanity - Gray Oak Finish with White Carr
Modern Bathroom
Demitri Harbor Bronze Three-Light Bath Light
$129.99 | Bellacor
Forged Iron Single Panel Fireplace Screen
Signature Hardware
Scatter Giclee Brushed Steel Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™