Garlic harvest!

glane1219(northern OK.)May 31, 2005

Hi, I harvested my Maitake Garlic today and have 77 nice bulbs around 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" inches. How is everyones Garlic doing and what kinds are you growing and harvesting this year?

If anyone would be interested in trading varieties of garlic let me know as I am growing 33 varieties this year and am always looking for varieties I have not tried yet.

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sarah_Bella(z5)

Gary i am SOOOO jealous!!! Right now i have one type planted and its just the grocery store kind :) i hope to grow many varieties some day, starting with a couple good varieties next year. i also hope to trade with you in the future!!!!

till then,

Sarah

Bookmark   June 1, 2005 at 11:11AM
thorspippi(z9/s14 CA Sacramento)

I think my elephant garlic is getting ready to be harvested. I asked a couple weeks ago about a broken stalk, but now others are yellowing, breaking and falling over, so I'm thinking maybe that first one was just the earliest.

I've read some conflicting data about when to harvest it... But I figure as long as I'm not watering them anymore, they won't rot if I leave them a a week or two too long, right?

I'm dying here, cuz I'm so close to finally getting my first harvest of *anything*. *crossing fingers tightly*.

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 9:36PM
gardenlad(6b KY)

Thorspippi, the way to scratch that itch is to carefully excavate around one of them and look at the bulb. If it's filled out, actually lift that one. Based on what you see, it'll tell you whether the others are ready or need a bit more time.

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 7:27AM
thorspippi(z9/s14 CA Sacramento)

well now, that just makes too much sense! LOL!

Bookmark   June 5, 2005 at 2:40PM
raisemybeds(SouthernCT)

Wow! I planted Italian purple hardneck something (my first try) in early October and the greens are big and beautiful now. Waiting for them to die back so I can harvest!

Bookmark   June 5, 2005 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
Garlic Plants are Coming Up (Fall 2014)
I planted some garlic bulbs about 2-3 weeks ago. And...
redsun9
Reasons to Grow Your Own Onions?
We consume some onions and we buy them from local farmer's...
redsun9
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™