Need Allium Flower Harvest Tips & other newbie ???
I'm a very small scale cut flower farmer. Bought & grew a few drumstick Alliums last fall, just cut the flowers in the last week. Lovely, not nearly enough, but sold what I had! Yippee!
Got some GIANT White Ball Garlic Flower Heads this evening from a friend's home. They grow it for the garlic, my eye was caught by the giant blooms. They said, "These ol' things? Sure, you can have them!"
I thought they'd be GREAT to sell to some florists, but....
I'm nervous that these giant white balls may be a smidgen past their prime for selling to florists, PLUS, they smell like garlic!
That may well be a "We-llll, DUH!", but I thought allium blooms DIDN'T smell garlicy or oniony--just maybe the stems when you cut them. The Drumsticks didn't smell bad, and the little wild onions I have in my woods don't smell bad. Is the smell species specific? Don't have a clue which species this garlic/white ball is.
Sooo, trying NOT to write forever, but needing some/a lot of info, here're some "more" of my questions.
1. Is "Allium" pronounced w/ a long "A" like Cake, or a Short "A" like Cat?
2. What do you do w/ the bulbs after you cut the flowers, or accidentally pull the bulbs out when you're weeding?
3. Are the named varieties like Drumstick, Gigantum, Globemaster, etc, the same as Elephant Garlic (or any other garlic) ? And, probably very "dumb", are the named varieties onions or garlic?
4. Are the named varieties also grown for their use as garlic (onions?) ? If so, do they taste different than "regular" garlic/onions?
5. Can I get the same kind of flowers from "regular" garlic (which I assume might be what my friends grew), and thus, cheaper than the named varieties? The named varieties are VERY exensive!
6. Do the named varieties' flowers have that garlic smell?
7. How does one dry a garlic flower head? Do the florets "stay" or "shatter"? Does the color stay true? On which craft/floral projects do you use them?
8. When is optimal cutting time for the flowers? How long do they last in a vase?
I'm sorry to be so long. I'd appreciate any help/advice you can give me, and I'm sure I'll have lots more questions.
SusiQ in NETX