A Loss CarolFM has passed

labrea_gwDecember 12, 2013

Many of those posting on here for years remember the lovely funny CarolFM. She was a good buddy & a great gardener. Her husband informed me yesterday of her passing!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mendocino_Rose(z8 N CA.)

I heard this from a friend this morning. I loved Carol. Even people who know her slightly will feel the loss of this beautiful person.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 9:48AM
melissa_thefarm(NItaly)

I'm sorry to hear it. Thanks for letting us know.
Melissa

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 9:57AM
floridarosez9

I enjoyed her posts and wondered why she hadn't been posting. I'm so sorry for her family and for her Garden Web family also.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 10:14AM
bman1920(5b)

Im very new to this forum. To the family im sorry for your loss. To the community of this forum. Im sorry for the loss of your friend.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 10:17AM
bman1920(5b)

Im very new to this forum. To the family im sorry for your loss. To the community of this forum. Im sorry for the loss of your friend.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 10:20AM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

I remember the day that you took that photo. It made glorious memories.

I shall miss Carol. She was a wonderful gardener and a lovely person. I will go rub our dog's ears even though our dog isn't a Bassett Hound and doesn't talk back endearingly.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 10:43AM
Krista_5NY

I will miss her. She was a very special lady. I remember her fondness for apricot roses.

Evelyn

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 12:21PM
rosefolly

I had very much hoped to see her at the Lakeland HRF last month since it was held in her corner of the world, and remember being quite disappointed that she was not there. I had no idea she was so sick. It's very much like her to keep that quiet.

I will not forget her. She was a remarkable person, warm, funny, smart, loving; not to mention a great gardener. She opened her home to a number of us when we went to hear David Stone speak in South Carolina a few years back. What a good time we all had, and not in small measure to her and her husband Bill!

Rosefolly

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 12:48PM
vics_gardenkeeper(7b AL)

I hate to hear that as she was a sheer delight. I remember her laugh and love of dogs from that get-together. She made my husband and me feel as if we had all been friends for decades.

Sending fond greetings to all of you
Kate

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 1:59PM
sadie_pnw

Thanks for posting this, labrea. I am so sorry to hear this. She was one of the first people that I met through this place. She shared her Louisiana iris with me, sent me a rose for my garden, was always generous with advice and generally encouraging to this newcomer to growing roses in the southeast. She was smart, funny, and delightful to read. I remember how devastated she was when her basset hound, Beau, died. How sad her family must be from her death. How sad I am to hear of it.

Remember her pot ghetto? She had a most beautiful garden. Gean

This post was edited by harborrose on Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 20:39

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 2:12PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

I learned of her passing yesterday on the Rose Forum and was so sorry to hear this. I knew her only from the forum but her personality shone through in everything she posted, and I admired her beautiful roses and garden tremendously. My condolences to her family and those of you who knew her personally.

Ingrid

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 2:16PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Her kindness and good humor were apparent in her posts.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 5:01PM
seattlesuze

Sitting melancholy at my desk looking out at the rain and thinking of meeting Carol in South Carolina at the David Stone workshop. We were all so passionate about roses and delighted to meet each other in person. Her feistiness and love of dogs and online games brought us together nearly every day on another forum. And we shared such a love of Alchymist. I think my favorite image of her is one where she stands beside her massive climber with the biggest grin on her face. She will be missed and long-remembered. I imagine her having a rollicking welcome from Beau and Harvey. See you later, Carol.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 5:07PM
buford(7 NE GA)

I didn't see this thread yesterday. I was shocked when I heard Carol had passed.

I was also at the David Stone seminar at Ashdown, but I didn't really know anyone well enough. I wish I had so I could have spent more time with Carol in person. We became friendly here and then on Facebook. I will miss her.

A mutual friend (Trisha from Ashdown) posted her obituary on Facebook. I've attached it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carol's Obituary

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 8:03PM
gnabonnand(Zone 8 Texas)

Thank you for your email, Joe, and for this thread. Similar to what Gean said above, Carol also sent me some of her Louisiana iris a few years ago. I never asked for them, she knew how much I liked them and so she mailed them to me. I was so surprised and grateful that someone would do that for me. It's the kind of thing that is totally unexpected and makes you feel special. They are to this day still growing outside my kitchen breakfast nook window. Each spring when they bloom will be a special reminder of Carol and what a warm, generous, happy person she was.
Her family was truly blessed to have her touch their lives.

Randy

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 10:09AM
Campanula UK Z8

Far, far too young - always so sad.
R.I.P., Carol dear.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 10:24AM
Patricia43(z8 AL)

Thank you, Joe, for posting this. What a wonderful friend, gardener and wonderful, sharing rosarian has slipped from our company. Oh, yes, she was also such a great hostess, as well. The times I was in her well-kept and well-appointed home, she was always gracious, charming and giving. She loved that big Bassett hound as much as anyone could love. May God bless and keep her family and heal their fresh wounds with time and may the roses she grew and loved serve as a precious, fragrant memory of her time here. Carolina and California Carol were both beautiful ladies who are no longer with us.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 5:39PM
zeffyrose_pa6b7(6b7)

So sad---so young and so much loved by family and friends-----
she will be missed by all of us

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 7:04PM
sherryocala

I saw this post without realizing who CarolFM was. Then went on Facebook and was stunned to see that it was the same Carol I knew there who had calmed and reassured me after Tom had his stroke and I was in a panic about one of his nurses. She was continually so kind and generous in telling me what was going on, helping me understand. She taught me to be Tom's advocate with the doctors and nurses which was huge. She always posted to my prayer requests "Praying". So sad for her family and for everyone who called her friend. Praying for them.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 11:12AM
monarda_gw

This is really too bad. I am so sorry.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 11:20AM
cath41(6a)

It is sad to hear of someone so good and generous passing away. This world needs each and everyone of them.

Cath

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 10:48PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

So sorry

Seems several wonderful people have passed

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 12:30AM
rosefolly

I planted Alchymist a couple of years ago because of Carol. And she grew the finest Francis Dubreuil I have ever seen.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 7:17PM
AnneCecilia z5 MI

Oh my goodness! I am so saddened! I don't get to the forums regularly these days and I just saw this. I will never forget Carol's warmth and sweetness, nor how she made me feel welcome in her home one evening after an Ashdown workshop. She had a lovely home and garden - but most special was her charming self. I was thinking of her recently and wondering why we no longer saw any posts from her anymore. Such a loss.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 6:59PM
jeannie2009

So sorry to hear of her passing. God Bless.

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 8:27AM
ronda_in_carolina

This is heartbreaking for me. I was hoping to find her here on the forums again....but not this.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 11:17AM
bbinpa(6)

RIP Carol. You will be missed. I did not know she was sick.
Forgive my late prayers. I pray for her family.

Barbara

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 7:50AM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

I somehow missed this in December. This is so sad. Carol was a true lady. A rose lover and a garden artist.

I recall meeting Carol in 2007 at a rosey gathering on Long Island. My memory is not so good anymore, but Carol was unforgettable .

My condolences to her family and everyone here who knew and loved her. She will be missed.

Harry

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
Thoughts on pruning? I'd love to see photos of your roses post-prune!
Hi all, I am gearing up for my first major pruning...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
close cousins of Belinda's Dream?
BD looks like a great landcaping/cutting rose, but...
Adam Harbeck
Well, well, well....I found the culprit!
For the past few years, I have blamed my wood mulch...
mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
giving up
most of my clippings and practically all of my past...
Campanula UK Z8
William R. Smith
Does anyone know how this compares to Maman Cochet...
titian1 10b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™