Planting garlic zone 5

goldenbuckeye(5/6 OH)June 23, 2008

I want to plant elephant garlic. When should I do this in zone 5?

Thanks in advance for your info.

Risies

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bloosquall(Wa 6)

Rosie, A good rule of thumb is to plant garlic a month before your ground freezes. that gives it time to grow some roots and get established before the cold sets in. I think Ohio gets colder earlier than Wa so I'd say get to planting in the first week of October and have at least eight inches of straw on top.

Maybe somebody from Ohio will chime in.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 12:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike1970(5B)

Rosie,

I'm growing about 120 garlic plants right now in zone 5 in Wisconsin. This is my first year of trying to grow them seriously. I planted last year around the end of October. It seems I'm about 2 weeks behind most of the growers here, since my plants started growing scapes about 2 weeks ago, but otherwise are fine. It could have been the unusually cold May we had here, also. Anyway, you should be fine for regular garlic.

My elephant garlic was a bit different. It came up much later than my regular garlic, and only about half of it came up. However, it's much bigger that my other garlic and looks very much like a leek. It seems to be doing fine also, but I wonder about growing it in the future if only half come up. From reading this forum I've found out that it's not a "real" garlic and likes warmer weather, so that cold spring may have been the problem, too.

Mike

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
Reasons to Grow Your Own Onions?
We consume some onions and we buy them from local farmer's...
redsun9
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™