Just received E. Walking Onions - now what?

agardenstateof_mindJune 21, 2007

I received these yesterday (fresh pulled bulb, stalk and bulbils) and am so pleased since I've been interested in Egyptian Walking Onions since first seeing them in this forum. I just don't know what to do next! (Long story, but I don't know who left them for me, so can't ask him/her.)

I know I could run a search, but am so swamped at the moment if anyone could give some concise first steps to get me started I'd really appreciate it very much.

BTW, I have a small garlic bed with garlic about ready to harvest. Can these crops take turns in that bed?

TYIA

Diane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agardenstateof_mind

Had a few moments and found what I needed.

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 11:43AM
sapman(z5 NY)

I'm in western NY, and I plant my top bulbs in the fall, end of Sept or in Oct. it doesn't seem to matter, just as long as they get a good start before the ground freezes. I plant them almost touching each other for harvesting in the spring, leaving every second or third or so to develop sets on top for planting in the fall. If you leave them all in they will also multiply on the bottom, but get pretty thick after a while and are tough to keep weeded

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 2:54PM
darlene87(z7 Wa)

We have them here, and they grow by dropping themselves on the soil. I don't do a thing, but pull up the ones we don't want. Most of them, that is! They are a little too hot and spicy for us, but I give many away, so others can grow them because they look different. They are in the ground all year in our area, Wa. state.
darlene

Bookmark   July 3, 2007 at 4:43AM
More Discussions
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™