Pros and cons of harvesting onions early

MairzyZ5June 27, 2012

I know that onions "ripen" after 110+ days, and that they need to cure to be stored, but, as a new onion grower, can someone help me with the pros and cons of harvesting early? Sometimes I just want to grab a little onion from the garden and add it to my dinner. Are there good reasons to wait? Chemical or biological reasons to wait? Or is it okay to just go for it and enjoy them fresh?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wertach zone 7-B SC

Just go for it and enjoy them fresh! They taste the same to me! But I'm no expert!

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 12:59PM
farmerdill

Concur, the only reason to wait until maturity, is that they can be stored for a period of time depending on the cultivar. Green onions need to be used immediately.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 4:22PM
wolverine1012

Tagging along on this...

I know that some say that when your onions start to lay down by themselves, you can just bend over the tops of the rest. But is there any problem with lifting the onions at this point and starting the drying process (under cover)without waiting for the onions to dry in the field?

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 4:26AM
farmerdill

The maximum growth stage is when the onion plants start to bend over. as long as the leaves are good the onion is immature.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 8:03AM
jolj(7b/8a)

I planted first multiplying onion in the Spring of 2011 & harvest in June(catalog said too). But this year my onions are still standing tall, so I am going to wait till the tops fall over.
But I want to see how long they will store.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 9:23PM
MairzyZ5

Thanks, everyone! I have a few that are starting to get to a decent size, so I'll probably start eating fresh onions any day now.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™