Dropped chopped onions&garlic into ground-expect anything?

tristateJune 25, 2009

My daughter and I are total newbies. I'm trying to do complimentary gardening (in the summer house in NY) and read that animals and pests hate onions and garlic and that we should generously plant both around our garden (with a few exceptions). So last weekend I cut up a couple of supermarket onions and garlic and we just dropped them into the ground. I figured that if they can sprout in my fridge, they can sprout anywhere. When I cut them up I was thinking that maybe the roots of the plants might need some of the original roots so I made sure the onions/garlic were cut in wedges. But other than that, I didn't create a raised bed, didn't prep with phospherous (per websites I've now read) and haven't been around the house to check on them for over a week.

Should we expect anything? It's an experiment that won't cost us more than a couple of pennies but still, it'd be nice to know if we could potentially eat them, however small or pungent they may be!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theonebluegecko(9b)

I would not really expect them to grow, but if they do there is no reason why you could not eat them.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
Garlic Plants are Coming Up (Fall 2014)
I planted some garlic bulbs about 2-3 weeks ago. And...
redsun9
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™