Hybrid Potato Onions

catherine_nmJune 19, 2010

Okay, this is the first year I have grown potato onions (listed in the Teritorial Seeds catalog as Allium Cepa), so I was mildly surprised to see some of them puting up flower stalks. Okay, others aren't, so I will still have onions when I need them.

This is also the first time in YEARS that I have planted onion sets (also Allium cepa), generic red, from the hardware store (hey, they were on sale for pennies, didn't hurt to try). But almost all of them are bolting.

So what is the chance that if I let the onions cross-pollinate and plant the seeds I will end up with red potato onions? I have a large yard, most of it in weeds at the moment. I can create a bed to play with onion seeds for a couple of years, I guess.

That's me, a very casual plant breeder.

Catherine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
promethean_spark

The potato onion flowers may be sterile, but it'd be worth a try. Onions will self-pollinate, so if only the regular onions set seed you'd have to grow out a bunch of seed and try to figure out of any were from pollen from the potato onions. If both the potato and regular onions set viable seed, then some of both seed will likely be hybrids - though it'd likely be considerably less than half unless you manually pollinated them extensively.

Commercial hybrid onions are made using special strains of onion that are self-sterile, ensuring that all seed set on those plants are the result of a cross with the other parent onion planted nearby.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™