Garlic Triplets?

cmrozewskiJune 8, 2012

Hello all,

I'm growing Lorz Italian garlic this season, and I have noticed something strange happening. Some of the individual garlic cloves I planted have developed three separate plants. I would say close to 20% of my garlic plants have developed these triplet plants. These plants develop their own individual bulbs, but are almost fused together where they touch. I have searched all over for information about this phenomenon but I can't seem to find anything. Just wondering if this a common occurrence?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
defigart(8B Vancouver, Washington)

I have had this happen too. Usually when what I think is a single clove is really 2 or 3 tiny cloves.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 1:54PM
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

I agree with defigart, sometimes when separating the cloves it's easy to miss noticing that one clove is actually two or more. When my Northern White gets really big, it's common that one huge clove is actually a double thats still connected if you peel it and look closely. If this clove get planted, more than one plant develops.
I've found that if you let more than one plant develop in the same spot the garlic size at harvest is much smaller.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 1:18AM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

In my experience, this happens when the plants get too much rain too late in the season. Some varieties may be more prone to this as it seems my Korean Red does this often. Of course, it could be my fault for thinking I can get those as large as some of my other varieties.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™