New garden - having trouble growing onions

agmss15(zone 4)June 30, 2013

Hi all - I need onion growing help. I have a fairly new vegetable garden - 21/2 years. I started with typical central Maine soil - rocky and acidic. I have added lime and organic matter. I know it is going to be a few more years before I can expect my soil to be decent. While I was generally pleased with what I harvested both this year and last - I am not doing well with onions. I got a harvest of tiny onions last season. This year I planted seedlings of two types of onions and leeks. I have been watering regularly, side dressed them once. They are green and healthy and growing very very slowly. I looked at my mom's onions yesterday and realized how slow indeed! While it would be nice to get something this fall I am mostly wondering about getting better results next year. Any ideas - more lime, compost??? FWIW Tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squashes, carrots, beans, cabbages, kohlrabi, various greens, lettuces etc.. produced enough to make me happy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buenaventura43

I followed Dixondale farms instruction for growing onion. Here is the picture of my onion.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 2:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
qbush(6, NE MA)

agmss,
I had the same problem last year with onions from sets, and followed advice to try plants. This years crop is looking much, much better. I have three beds devoted to onions, two of which seem to be having faster, more robust growth. Those beds had beans; one Fortex, one yellow bush (forgot variety) After I had harvested LOADS of beans I cut the vines, chopped them, and dug them back into the soil with relatively fresh horse manure. On one bed I planted a crop of field peas as a cover crop. Tilled in spring, no added fertilizer. Bed with pea cover crop seems to be doing best...

While I can't plant as straight a row as jamesandfely (nice crop guys!!!) I have harvested about ten pounds of reasonably sized Copra from a 20 foot row. Haven't harvested Patterson yet, but they look even better.

All of the above being said I am new to onions, and was advised against some of the things I have done. However gardening as an experience is all about balance. Keep notes and keep trying!

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 8:14AM
More Discussions
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Newbie to garlic growing
I would like to try a variety of bulbs this fall. Anyone...
Sunnygran55
'Moritz' egyptian onion?
I thought I would try posting this again since it has...
shane11
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Oat Straw
I've mulched my garlic with a nice covering of oat...
Ricko1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™