What garlic am I growing, and what should I do next?

hawkfishJune 12, 2008

I bought some seedlings labeled 'garlic' at my local nursery. It said to plant 4" apart now, and to harvest in the fall. That's the extent of the label instructions.

Any ideas what I am dealing with? I did as I was told, but what should I do next? Right now, my plan is to leave them be and see what happens, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Faye

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

No idea at all - they could be hardneck, softneck or elephant and I'd probably scratch a leaf to make sure it smells of garlic. I'm not sure where in Zone 5 you are but normally garlic is planted in the fall and harvested in early summer up here. Right now, I'd do exactly what you are doing and also put some kind of marker as to where they are. If they're garlic, they're probably going to stop growing soon and die back to the bulb by around the end of july. After that, they'll rest a bit and start growing again in the late fall and create heads for you next year.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 2:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hawkfish

I'm in Columbus. They definitely smell like garlic, but right now look scallions with a large bulb. Almost like a ramp.

But I got them on sale, so I figured 'what the heck! I've always wanted to grow garlic.' So we shall see....

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Reasons to Grow Your Own Onions?
We consume some onions and we buy them from local farmer's...
redsun9
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™